Can the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation be Solved Using Eigenfunctions?

In summary, the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation is a partial differential equation used to describe the flow of heat in non-uniform mediums. It consists of three key components: the heat transfer term, thermal conductivity term, and heat source term. This equation is typically solved using numerical methods due to its complexity and has various real-world applications, including materials processing and thermal management. However, it has limitations such as assuming constant thermal properties and not accounting for phase changes or chemical reactions.
JoernE
Consider the following non-homogenous heat equation on [itex]0 \leq x \leq \pi[/itex]

[itex]u_t = k u_{xx} - 1[/itex] with [itex]u(x,0) = 0, u(0,t) = 0, u(\pi, t) = 0[/itex]

Find a solution of the form

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_1^{\infty} b_n(t) \phi_n (x)[/itex]

where [itex]\phi_n(x)[/itex] are the eigenfunctions of an appropriate homogenous problem, and find explicit expressions for [itex]b_n(t)[/itex]

So I think

[itex]\phi_n(x) = \sin \frac{n \pi x}{L}[/itex]

so I find solutions in the form

[itex]\displaystyle u(x,t) = \sum_1^{\infty} b_n (t) \ \sin \frac{n \pi x}{L}[/itex]

Am I on the right track? Is the eigenfunction correct?

Physics news on Phys.org

I have a different method...

Let [tex]u = w(x,t) + v(x)[/tex]

Then

[tex] \frac{\partial u}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial w}{\partial t}[/tex] and [tex] \frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2} = \frac{\partial^2 w}{\partial x^2} + \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2}[/tex]

Sub these back into the PDE to obtain

[tex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = k \frac{\partial^2 w}{\partial x^2} + k \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} - 1 [/tex]

Choose [tex] k \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} - 1 = 0 [/tex]

So

[tex] V'' = \frac{1}{k}, \ V(0) = V(\pi) = 0[/tex]

[tex] V' = \frac{1}{k} + A[/tex]

[tex] V = \frac{1}{k} + Ax + B[/tex]

[tex] V(0) = \frac{1}{k} + B = 0 \ \Rightarrow \ B = - \frac{1}{k} [/tex]

[tex] V(\pi) = \frac{1}{k} + A \pi + B \ \Rightarrow \ A = -\frac{1}{k \pi} - \frac{B}{\pi}[/tex]

[tex] V(x) = 0[/tex]??

Also since [tex] k \frac{\partial^2 v}{\partial x^2} - 1 = 0 [/tex] we have

[tex] \frac{\partial w}{\partial t} = k \frac{\partial^2 w}{\partial x^2}[/tex] which is homogeneous.

[tex] u(0, t) = v(0) + w(0, t) = 0[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \ w(0,t) = 0[/tex]

[tex] u(x, 0) = v(x) + w(x,0) = 0[/tex]

[tex] \Rightarrow \ w(x,0) = 0[/tex]

[tex] u(\pi, t) = v(\pi) + w(\pi, t) = 0[/tex]
[tex] \Rightarrow \ w(\pi, t) = 0[/tex]

Then we have

[tex] w_t = k w_{xx}[/tex] with [tex] w(x,o) = 0, w(0,t) = 0, w(\pi, t) = 0[/tex].

Since this is homogenous, we can solve by letting

[tex] w = XT[/tex]

[tex] \frac{T'}{kT} = \frac{X''}{X} = - \lambda[/tex]

[tex] X = A \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}t) + B \sin(\sqrt{\lambda}t)[/tex]

[tex] X(0) = A = 0[/tex]

but now I get a little lost...I think I know where to go, just not exactly how to get there. Already have calculated that [tex]v(x) = 0[/tex], which will lead to what I need to prove (I think).

Last edited by a moderator:
Joerne, on this board use "[tex]", not "[tex]" to show LaTex. I have editted your post to correct that.

Your first method is perfectly correct. You will, of course, have to expand the constant, -1, in a Fourier sine series.

HallsofIvy said:
Joerne, on this board use "[tex]", not "[tex]" to show LaTex. I have editted your post to correct that.

Thanks.

HallsofIvy said:
Your first method is perfectly correct. You will, of course, have to expand the constant, -1, in a Fourier sine series.

Are you referring to my first post here?

Are you saying that what I wrote in the second post (under "I have a different method") is not correct?

JoernE said:
[tex] w = XT[/tex]

[tex] \frac{T'}{kT} = \frac{X''}{X} = - \lambda[/tex]

[tex] X = A \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}t) + B \sin(\sqrt{\lambda}t)[/tex]

[tex] X(0) = A = 0[/tex]

but now I get a little lost...I think I know where to go, just not exactly how to get there. Already have calculated that [tex]v(x) = 0[/tex], which will lead to what I need to prove (I think).

You have a typo, X is a function of x, and T is a function of t.

You need to find the value of A,B, and lamda.
The first b.c. gave that A=0. The second b.c. gives X(Pi)=B Sin(sqrt(lamda)*Pi), which is equal to 0. Unless, sqrt(lamda)=n/2 where n is an integer number . n=1,2,3,4,5,6...

Now that you know what lamda is equal to , solve for T, but do not apply the initial condition,yet!

Once you have the expressions for X and T, take their product (which is u), and apply the initial condition.

Thanks MasterX!

This should be [tex]\displaystyle X = A \cos(\sqrt{\lambda}x) + B \sin(\sqrt{\lambda}x)[/tex]

so

[tex]\displaystyle X(\pi) = B \sin (\sqrt{\lambda} \pi) = 0[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\lambda} \pi = \frac{n \pi }{2}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \ \sqrt{\lambda} = \frac{n}{2}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \ \lambda_n = \big( \frac{n}{2} \big)^2[/tex] for [tex]n = 1,2,...[/tex]

So

[tex]\displaystyle \phi_n(x) = \sin \big(\frac{n \pi x}{2} \big) [/tex]

and so

[tex]\displaystyle u(x,t) = v(x) + \sum_1^{\infty} b_n \sin \big(\frac{n \pi}{2} \big) [/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \ = \displaystyle \sum_1^{\infty} b_n(t) \phi_n (x)
[/tex]

and I think

[tex]\displaystyle \ b_n = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^{\pi} \sin(\sqrt{\lambda} x) dx[/tex]

Do not forget that u=X*T and T' = -lamda * k*T => T=C*Exp(-k *lamda*t)

Therefore b_n=D*Exp(-k*lamda*t), where D=C*B, but this is not important.

Substitute this equation into u, and apply the initial condition to get D.

EDIT:
Since V(x)=0, the above analysis will give you that D=0, which is wrong! Also, V(x) can not be zero.

I do not think this is the way to solve non homogeneous equations. I remember first solving the homogeneous equation (exactly as you did for w), then I assumed that A,B, C are function of x,t and I solved the non-homogeneous. In the end, I used the b.c and i.c. to compute the value of the constants.

Last edited:

What is the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation?

The Non-Homogenous Heat Equation is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat in a non-uniform medium, where the thermal conductivity and heat sources may vary with position and time.

What are the key components of the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation?

The Non-Homogenous Heat Equation consists of three key components: the heat transfer term, the thermal conductivity term, and the heat source term. These terms represent the flow of heat, the ability of the material to conduct heat, and any external sources of heat, respectively.

How is the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation solved?

The Non-Homogenous Heat Equation is typically solved using numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, due to the complexity of the equation. These methods involve discretizing the domain and solving for the temperature at each discrete point.

What are some real-world applications of the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation?

The Non-Homogenous Heat Equation has a wide range of applications, including studying heat transfer in materials processing, thermal management in electronic devices, and predicting temperature distributions in geological systems, among others.

What are the limitations of the Non-Homogenous Heat Equation?

The Non-Homogenous Heat Equation assumes that the thermal properties of the material are constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, the equation does not take into account any phase changes or chemical reactions that may occur during heating or cooling.